Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick ribbed newts

D

david

Please help. I finaly was able to purchase some ribbed newts. I ended up with some very sick ones. I purchased them anyway, as I have not been able to find them anywhere. (I had not found this site at the time) They came to me with what looked like warts, raised soft and squishy bumps with no color difference. Now they have turned whitish and red, and are developing more of the bumps. I have treated with myacyn, Tetracycline, and some other product that I can not remember. It has been a month noe and they are looking worse. I am a somewhat experienced newt keeper, and have many other types in many tanks. I have some other ribbed newts that I was able to get about a week later, and they are growing and doing very well. Please help me, I do not want to lose these guys.

J

jennifer

You don't want germs to get from the sick to the healthy ones. Be very careful not to transfer even one drop of water from the sick tank to the healthy tank. Don't use the same siphon, for example. Feed the healthy ones first, then the sick ones.

Sorry, I don't have any treatment advice. If it were me, I might try keeping them in a clean tub of spring water, changed daily. Read the treatment articles at Caudate Central.

U

(unregistered

Jennifer, Thanks for the advice, I am doing this already. I hope someone can help with the treatment, as I am now losing the first one. He has a fungus covering his tail and is almost not moving anymore. Please Please help.

D

david

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+2">Somebody please please help me!!! I lost the first newt last night, and I am afraid the others are not far behind.</font></font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!