Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alage Eaters?

ryan

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wondering what do most newt breeders keep together with their newts. I've attempted to introduce some Algae Eaters but they were promptly chomped up by my Pleurodeles waltl. Subsequent entrants were also eaten. I thus have a growing algae problem in my tank.
Has anybody encoutnered such carnivorous Pleurodeles waltl? Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks!!
talker.gif

C

chris

It's best not to introduce any fish in with the newts, but pond snails are good for eating algae as long as they are not eaten. If you get the small ones consiodered 'pests' by fish people, they probably won't be eaten and reproduce really quickly.
Chris

E

elisabeth

Get some big snails, bigger than the newts' mouths. Also, ghost shrimp are very fast. I have two in my newt tank, and they tease the newts because they're too fast for them.

J

joeri

I have a 1.20m tank with 6 pleuros in it. I have no snails, nor algae-eaters. I have no lamp above the tank and it's not in direct sunlight. The plants in it are easy growing plants so they can handle lesser light. (read: lot's of plants)

I barely have any problem with algae in this tank. I scrub the "windows" once every few weeks and it's not even a big deal.

I also have a smaller tank with 2 CFB and there is a light in it. Boy do I have to scratch algae!
Maybe you use a lamp as well? See if you can handle without. Goodluck.

ryan

Reaction score
yeah my tank's below the window so I do get algae growing pretty fast. Hmm ok I shall go look for snails. But won't they also start eating the leaves of my plants?
Ghost shrimp? Tried that. They got eaten at night, most probably when they were sleeping :p
Thanks guys!

J

jesper

Depends on the type of snails I would say, the one considered to be pests by fish-people are great, they only eat the dead parts of the plants thus I dont have to go in with scissors. My waltls tend to try to eat them though, havent succeeded yet...

S

samuel

Hi Ryan,

Those snails that Jesper mentioned usually come with plants and are not on sale. Larger snails like ramhorns r not reccommended according to some as they may cuz injury to ur newts. If u get the smaller snails that comes with plants, be forwarned... they poop and breed like nobody's business and r virtually impossible to eradicate frm the tank. U might want to move the tank to a shaded area cuz sunlight encourages algae growth and it'll warm up the water for ur newts (especially the Singaporean sun). U may want to intro more plants or up the frequency of water changes to reduce nitrate levels. All the best.

Sam

E

elisabeth

You have to remember that snails are scavengers. My snail hasn't even looked at my plants. There's enough algae and bits of food to go around. I wouldn't worry about your plants unless you get a snail and it becomes a problem.
Oh, and my snail just had a baby!

S

samuel

Xixarro, is it safe to house orientalis with otos? i just got one recently to help out in the tank. Does ur bacteria theory apply here?

Sam

J

joeri

What are otos?

If you're not sure, use this as a guideline to be completely sure. In origin, do these animals live together or not? If not I wouldn't recommend it.

S

samuel

Orientalis live in fishless waters. Otos or Otoniculus are algae eaters.

K

kaysie

elizabeth, snails dont just "have a baby". they lay thousands of eggs. they have LOTS of babies...

C

chris

Samuel Im no where near a por with cfbn but I have a oto in the tank with mine and tehere seems to be no problems

J

joel

A few that I know of:

Otocinclus
Pleco
Siamese Algae Eater
Chinese Algae Eater

This few are primarily herbivorous but there are also others that eat algae like mollies. Snails like apple snails don't breed so quickly and will remove algae. Not all of the algae eaters listed are suitable for planted tanks.

E

elisabeth

Yeah, I know Kaysie, but I guess only one hatched. That's what I mean by that. I wonder what happened to the eggs though. I never saw any. Do they lay them in sand or something?

S

samuel

Elizabeth, they lay em in the drift wood for my case. Once in a while i'll see some new ones on em. Chris, it's not the aggressiveness of the otos to the newts or viceversa i'm worried abt but as Xixxaro said, their microbial compatibility. Hehe, btw my oto poops ALOT... wonder if it would harm the newt if it ingested the poop along with the worms since the poop is almost everywhere.

Sam

J

joeri

@Elizabeth: snails lay leggs everywhere. In plants, on your tank, between stones,... everywhere. And allways more than one. Even if you can't see them, there are lots of them. I know fish often eat snaileggs, why wouldn't newts do the same?

@Sam: I am not an expert in those bacteries. But cynops are a bit sensitive so if I were you, I'd just clean the tank enough and keep water in balance. On the other hand, algae eaters can be put with allmost anything. Maybe, also with newts?
Maybe you might stress out your newts as well by intoducing the oto.
Sorry I can't help you more.

S

samuel

Haha, the newts seem to stress the oto more than the other way round. Thanx anyways.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1