Are bait shop worms healthy for newt consumption?

tiffany

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Tiffany Shewchuk
since there is no way of finding out if these worms grow in persticides of any kind, would it be safe to say that these worms don't come near pesticides since there purpose is in the chain of human consumption?? i know i could just dig up my own, but iv already dewormed my yard, and it gets annoying looking for worms every other day.

Ask. My bait shop is always forthcoming with information about their items. And most find it really interesting that you're using them as food, rather than bait.

I think it's best to raise your own. That way you won't have any unpleasant surprises.

wow, how do you deworm your yard!!!!, no matter howmany I take from mine there are tons more

I get mine from my neighbor. she sells "Dew Worms" that she picks herself. She outsells the shops by a wide margin. they are $2 for a dozen.

I got 3 pounds for about 40.00 last week. I then set them up in worm bins, feed them good clean food and let them breed. I try for a sustainable yield but never achieve it.

There have been plentyo f horror stories in the forum about the unpleasant side effects of baitshop worms. It is best to raise your own, and not play dice with your newts.

Wow. I don't have a yard, and have always gotten mine from the sporting good's section at Wal-Mart even though I refuse to shop for groceries there.

Dew worms that come in newsprint mulch seem to have an unpleasant taste to some newts. If this is how your worms come,I suggest putting your worms in soil for a week or so before feeding them. In Canada and the northern states, dew worms are readily accessible in the winter, and that can be a life saver.

GE

Yep, Walmart's "European Nightcrawlers" are an excellent source of newt and salamander food!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back