Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can you ID my newts?

N

nick

I recently bought a pair of newts from an exotic
pet shop as 'Alpine newts'. But having done some
reading up it seems to me that they look and behave more like Red-Bellied newts (Taricha Rivularis).

They are plain black/brown with an orangy-red underside. They are almost devoid of any markings
except for some blotching around the mouth.
they are very lean looking and have long thin lanky legs.

They have shown no interest in entering the water
(unlike Alpines that are supposed to be largely
aquatic) which is a pity as I got them to accompany my Spanish Ribbed newts in their 4 ft aquatic set up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Accurate
identification is vital if I am to care for them
properly.

Many thanks
18356.jpg

I

isaiah

Looks like an alpine newt to me. If I were him I would be scared to enter the water with waltls as well.

C

chris

They are alpine newts (Triturus alpestris). Firstly, please don't mix species, especially with voracious species like Pleurodeles. Triturus are naturally terrestrial during most of the year, becoming aquatic only in Spring to late summer, after winter hibernation, to breed. Look on the care sheet on Caudata culture. There is plenty of infor on keeping alpines around. They only develop the brilliant blue colouration id they are males, and then only in the breeding season.
Good luck
Chris

N

nick

Well thanks for your help..Alpines it is then!

No, I would never have put them in a situation where the ribbed newts could get at them - the tank is separated already as I had an axolotl in
there but moved him out becuase of his size (11 inches and still growing).

I am surprised though to hear that Alpines are generally terrestrial as most of what I'v read seemed to indicate the opposite - and that was my attraction as I thought that being so similar to
Pleuros would make the set up & feeding easy.

What do I need to do to accomodate the Alpine's hibernation period?

You guys really seem to know your stuff. I'm glad I found this site.

Cheers.
18360.jpg

mike

Reaction score
Hi Nick,
I keep alpines aquatically all year round, in a tank in an outhouse, where they are naturally cooled over the Winter period, and come into breeding condition in the Spring.
If you keep them 'wet' in about 3 centimetres of cool water, with lots of aquatic plants, they should soon revert to their watery ways....then gradually increase the water volume.

K

kaysie

Thats a gorgeous picture, Nick. Very nice animals. I just got into keeping Triturus myself.

B

billy

well I just found a spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) and decided to keep him. I researched a little but as most would guess most people probably dont keep them as pets, so im having a hard time figuring out the habbits and what I need to keep my friend alive. He is about 4 inches and Ive been feeding him flys and moths. Will he live and if so what does he need?

B

billy

Well I found foods for my salamander, although flys and moths werent in the list. Im also worried about over feeding, is that possible or will the salander not eat if not hungry. Im sure he never had so much food. Im feeding him about 1 or 2 horse flys a day or 2 house flys and a moth, anyone know? Heres a pic
18512.jpg

H

hayden

My paddle tails wont take food if they arent hungry but ive never had an Alpine

C

chris

If the alpines are wild caught, then they are probably determined to stay aquatic (mine were). If you get them nice an healthy and hobernate them (in damp moss in a box in the fridge for a few weeks) then you may be able to keep them in the water once they have entered it naturally.
Chris

F

francesco

Hi Nick
At what temperature do you keep the alpine newt? Cos with high temperatures they tend to become terrestrial.

N

nick

Yes I may try hibernating them. These were captive bred. I'm still yet to see them enter the water so I'll see how it goes.

The water temperature is currently 24c...high I know but it is July I spose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!