Noto behavior

K

karen

My 2 eastern newts have been behaving differently the last few weeks. The have taken to being almost totally land bound and spend most of their days resting under a plastic rock formation. I find they do came out for a swim every once in awhile but they used to be almost totally in the water and just came out on land for a bit. Now it's reversed. They also don't have the huge appetites they used to. The conditions are the same as always, the temp is cool, water conditions fine, they appear healthy (but getting a little thinner, although I'm not too concerned since they were pretty hefty). Could this be a seasonal thing? Should they be less active in winter than summer? I had them last winter but I honestly don't recall their behavior since they were new at the time. Any ideas?

I've been keeping Eastern newts for a few years, and I've noticed that they go back and forth. Mine are in their mating season now and spend almost all their time in the water. So, I think they do change their behavior depending on the season, but I'd also take a good look at the water and make sure it's clean. I think that they spend more time hauled out if the water isn't clean enough for them. Do you know what sexes your newts are?

I'm pretty sure they're both males. The water is very clean, all readings (pH, nitrates, ammonia etc) are normal.

Well, then, I hope they're just being seasonal. I have watched mine go through all kinds of changes, sometimes more aquatic, sometimes more terrestrial, and I have seen them really plump up and then get skinnier again. Sometimes all we can do is fret!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back