Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. Orientalis Problems

andrew

Reaction score
I bought a C. Orientalis a couple of months ago. He has not touched the water since a couple of weeks after i bought him. He also hasnt eaten for about a month. He has no sores or anything. The tank has about 9 inches of water and a piece of imatated cork bark for the land. There are about 6 plants in the water. what should i do?

J

jesper

The part about not touching water is normal, its normal for them not to eat too after pet shop experiences. I have had success putting those cases in soil(make sure the soil is free of pesticides) setups with corkbark on top and just a little container with water. I'd suggest that you take a nice juicy nightcrawler, just like Ben said, and chop it up into loads of small pieces and distribute evenly throughout such a setup as I recommended above.

(Message edited by Jesper on November 08, 2004)

M

mark

Thats a good idea Jesper. I have found that a lot of the Orientalis I get from pet stores really don't like to go in the water. But else I have found is that if you ask the "worker" to get one from the water, they stay mostly aquatic, but thats just me.

J

jesper

Hmm watch out though, cause the ones that are in the water are usually the ones having ulcers in my experience. I have posted this several times, in all pet shop cases I have had the orientalis with ulcers seek water and the healthy ones stay on land. Of course this is only an observation that I have made on severely stressed orientalis(i.e. pet shop orientalis) and is not valid for a healthy population where the orientalis are very aquatic.

M

mark

Hmmm, thats wierd, in my area, the ones with ulcers are the ones on the land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1