Help needed!!!

W

weiqiang

Hi guys...My chinese fire belly newt has lost his layer of skin on his back exposing white tissue...Is this common or my newt has a problem?
Any help is welcome...

Hum... it didn;t sound like skin shedding.. Maybe a photo will be much more helpful.

I guess it's abrasion or some fish attacked it as i have two algae eaters with it...It might be a freak accident the algae eater might mount the newt and proceed to suck it's back?Maybe that's why it lost it's layer of skin...Poor fellow...It's back is bleeding a little now...Will it's skin grow back and any treatments to recommend as i am sure it's not suffering from a sore

Hi Weiqiang.

Well, the first thing you should do is to quickly separate the newt from the algae eaters before they do more damage. The two simply don't mix, as other people have found out the hard way.

See:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

Check out other articles on that sister-site for treatments of wounds, etc.
biggrin.gif

Yes, there are reports of algae eaters injuring axololts, and I'm sure they'd do the same to a newt. Also, the temperature needs of the newt and the algae eaters are not compatible! You should separate them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back