Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander larvae questions (lengthy)

V

vanessa

My sister and I were in the school's nature reserve (we're in central Arkansas) today checking on some studies. We came across a decent sized mud puddle (for lack of a better description) which was teeming with tadpoles, crayfish/crawdads/small shrimp, and... SALAMANDER LARVAE! I was told I could take some and see what becomes of it. I ended up with a salamander larvae a little bit over an inch long. It has arms, legs, and magnificent gills.
I would greatly appreciate any insight as to what can be done to help it thrive. I put it in a one gallon critter keeper for now with a 2 other small tadpoles using the same water I found them in. I made the water lever about the same as it was in the puddle - a little over 2 inches.
Do I need to remove the tadpoles or are they food? I saw tons of delicious looking wiggly bugs and such in the water, and I assume he can he can eat that?? (I got an extra bottle with some water from the same spot in it full of bugs and junk sitting outside.)
They're at room temp, around the upper 70's. Do I need to upgrade him to a bigger tank and get him a heater?
Do I need to get blackworms (although they are not native here) or some sort of enticing food for it?
I do have several other species of newts, but I have never had the opportunity to raise them from such a young stage.
I'm working on getting some pics up so I can pester the forum again for identification.
I did read the article "Raising newts from eggs"
By Jennifer Macke but I wasn't sure about all the differences since it is wild caught.
Please don't tell me to put it back because I went back a few hours later feeling very guilty and ready to release it and the whole puddle was dried up and everything was dead.
Once again, I really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

(Message edited by Cornflakegrl on April 14, 2006)

P

paris

heater=bad, temps need to be below 72 for comfort. a picture would help identify it and allow for more specific husbandry data. you will need more water in the set up since the critter keeper is an enclosed artificial water body and there isnt enough water mass to help buffer water quality issues.

J

jennifer

The wiggly pond bugs are fine for a short while, but soon it will need more to eat. Blackworms are probably your best bet if you can find a store that has them. It may eat the tadpoles, it depends on the size difference.

Likewise with the water... you'll have to transition to something else. The pond water is OK for a short while, but you need to start doing partial water changes, so I assume you will be switching it gradually to tap water.

I wouldn't tell you to put it back. Taking a few larvae from a pond full of them is probably the most "ecologically correct" way to get a caudate, other than captive breeding.

V

vanessa

Are there any places that sell blackworms in smaller amounts than aquaticfoods.com? I'm trying to find a place that sells them in smaller quantities as they aren't carried locally. I do have a pack of brine shrimp I could hatch??
Thanks so much (and especially thanks for not swatting my hand).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1