Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marms

M

meghan

Any suggestions on reasons and a solution here would be appreciated. The marm larvae (some are beginning to morph) will only eat brine shrimp. They aren't interested in the least with the live blackworms or thawed bloodworms. I'm making sure the blackworms are chopped small enough. This is getting very aggravating as I feel I'm doing something wrong. I held off on giving them bbs thinking they'd get hungry enough to eat the blackworms but to no avail. I finally gave in last night and gave them brine shrimp. They went from stick thin to rounded bellies off the brine shrimp. Obviously they can't live off of bbs exclusively after they morph. I'm doing my best to prevent any deaths at this point. Has anyone else with marms experienced this?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Meghan,
I like using baby brine shrimp for larvae salamanders and newts. For axolotls I use it till they are big enough to eat salmon pellets. The problem with newts or salamanders that want to go on land is you have to feed them something else when they go to land.
I try to introduce blackworms early to animals that will be crawling on land. If you back off on the brine shrimp and feed chopped blackworms along with them the larvae should switch over. If you wait to long you are stuck with what might be problem feeders on land. Hopefully the larvae will have a feeding response to a small amount of brine shrimp and move on to the blackworms. I also feed new metamorphs springtails, fruit flies, fruit fly larvae, and chopped small earthworms.

J

jennifer

I would say feed both for a week or so. The bbs die after an hour, but the chopped blackworms stay alive. The larvae will get hungry enough to start munching the blackworms during the remaining 23 hours of the day. They will get used to the blackworms, keep trying.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1