URGENT, FIREBELLY NOT EATING!!!

R

rancidevilpingu

HELP, my newts not eating, swimming and refuses to eat. its looking thin now. its also now with another newt, making no difference do its eating pattern. me and mark_uk have tried feeding it chopped earthworm. Please help, this will be my second newt to die.

one of my fire bellies decided to stop swimming and sat on his log for weeks without eating anything. Eventually i got him to eat by letting a bloodworm or a tiny white garden slug wriggle from tweezers in front of his face.

you could also put the white slugs (not black ones - they taste bad) on the land area as they will not enter the water.

Good luck at least you'll have tried your best.

P.S. let us know how you get on

HUH, white slugs. im in the UK and i have probbably never seen a white slug???

they are more of a creamy colour to light brown than white. just avoid the really dark ones cos they are distasteful. I live in scotland and go out at night and look in the garden with a torch.

i guess i should have said lighter rather than white.

try turning over rocks and plant pots. they stay in the drainage holes of my pots during the day and come out at night to munch.

i pinch them with tweezers and hold them in front of the newts. after a they get over the shock they put out their feelers and try to get down. the newt usually go for that but if they are being difficult i just plonk them on the log. mind and gently rinse the slime off with dechlorinated water and watch in case they slither over your newt cos i can't imagine the slime being very good for their skin

hhhhhhmm. are woodlice ok? dont see slugs often. my newt seems to have started entering the water at mark_uks house.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back