Close Call!

D

drew

Earlier today I heard my wife yell from the bedroom, "Drew, is the newt supposed to be out?" I quickly ran in there, worried about what I might find. Sure enough, the female Cynops pyrrhogaster I've kept for the last ten years was sitting/laying on the floor at the foot of the bed motionless. I scooped her up (the newt, not my wife) and headed for the aquarium. She was alive, skin still slightly moist. When I released her back in the aquarium, she swam off into her favorite hiding spot, while I tried to figure out how she got out.

There's a small opening on the rear of the top glass that I usually keep covered with a plastic strip, but had left it off the last time I did a water change. And the rear wall of the tank has a polystyrene rock wall insert I suppose she must have climbed (although I've never seen her do that). I guess I didn't really think too much about it, since the newt has never tried to make a break for it in the last ten years in the various tanks/setups I've had her in. Heck, she very rarely even leaves the water, even though I always leave some "land" area exposed (rocks, wood, plants, etc.). Conditions in the tank have not changed any recently and she has been well supplied with bloodworms.

Anyway, I don't know how long she was out and about. She had to have fallen a good three feet from the tank to the floor, then traversed ten feet of carpeted floor, down a highly trafficked hallway to the bedroom. The whole family had been up for at least an hour, running up and down the hall. It's fortunate she wasn't crushed under foot.

I'm worried now whether she will be ok after all this. Did she sustain any injuries from the fall? Did she pick up anything harmful from the carpet? Then there's the stress, and the partial drying. She looks to be ok as I type this. She is moving around normally and even ate some worms. I don't see any scars, wounds, or other external signs of injuries.

Does anyone have any advice for determining whether she's ok? I will definitely make sure there's no risk of further escape. But now I wonder if there's anything in particular I can do at this point to ensure she will recover from the ordeal.

Thanks for any input.

I think everyone who's kept caudates has had one escape at one time or another. If she's swimming and eating, she'll probably be okay. Just count yourself lucky that you found her. And before she became jerky. The fact that she was still slightly moist when you found her is a good thing.

Best of luck

Another thing; it might look like a big fall, if you imagine yourself the size of the newt, but it's actually a lot less than if we fell the three feet, given that the animal has much less mass. I.e, "in a drop of 100 feet, a mouse walks away, a rat breaks a few bones, a human is killed, and a horse splatters."

Hi Peter,
I was just thinking about that quote from my high school physics text as I read the thread.

Ed

drew,
i found my female paddletail in the same way and i was very lucky to find her again your cynops should be alright there shouldn't be any problems but keep a close eye on her though for any unusual activity

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back