Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How poisonous are fire belly newts to other animals?

K

keri

My fire belly newt, that I got for mothers day, escaped this morning... I've looked everywhere for him! The only thing I can think of is that either one of my dogs or my cat ate him.
sad.gif
Has anyones dog or cat ever eaten their newt? And were they okay?
Thanks!

J

jennifer

It is unfortunately very common for firebellies to escape. They usually go to the tiniest, darkest, dustiest corner of the room and dry up. It's unlikely that your pets ate it. If they did, it might make them sick, but I don't think it could kill them. You can try putting out sheets of wet aluminum foil for the newt, but it's unlikely you'll find or save it.

S

steve

I eventually found mine underneath the refrigerator once after looking for nearly an hour. He had collected a nice coat of dustbunny "fur" (not exactly a look that suited him). I immediately cleaned him off and hydrated him. Fortunately, he survived.

Make sure that you check EVERYWHERE. If you were only 1cm tall, where would you hide?

K

keri

I had an oregon newt as a child & he too escaped. But was bigger & therefore easier to find. In a period of 8 hours he traveled out of my room, down the stairs through the living room & up the curtains! I sat up all night with my newt - holding him in my hand part in the water & part out... and he survived for another couple of years! So I've looked high & low for this guy. I hope he didn't suffer.... He's only about an inch long...
sad.gif
I'll work harder at keeping my other one contained. Thanks.

F

francesco

Once a dendrobates tinctorius escaped in my cellar and I found it ALIVE after 2 days!!!Though I must say my cellar is very humid.

S

steve

Keri....sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, these little guys (Firebellies) are not only clowns but magicians as well. They can squeeze through very small openings, travel unbelievable distances and all without the help of mind-altering substances.
happy.gif

I wish you better luck with your next one.

J

jackie

A while back, when still living at home, one of mine totally disappeared. My mother and i turned out house inside OUT looking for Pedro. We totally moved all the furniture in my room, checked everything. EVERHWERE. There was a tiny gap in the tank, which I STILL do not, in any way, believe he could have escaped from.

We took apart filters, the whole tank, everything.

I think Pedro was abducted.

ufo.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1