Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No benzocaine....but?

J

jazz

Hi,

I came home from school today to find that my bigger female Triturus K. had the end of her tail bitten off. I hove no idea which newt did this to her but have separated her from the others for the time being. I read about caring for the wounds with Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. I have som of that that has a painkiller, but it doesn't say it contains benzocaine. Is it ONLY benzocaine that's a problem or should I keep away from all pain killers? Thanks!!

J

joan

Unless it's showing signs of fungus, I wouldn't bother with it. I've had one female T. karelinii who's had her tail bitten off twice by more aggressive tank mates (maybe this is why she's terrestrial!), and haven't had a problem with regrowth either time.

J

jazz

This is true, others in the tank now are regrowing past tailbites. I'll put her back tonight and check them all in the morning. Maybe I can find the culprit and give him/her a stern talking to. Thanks!

J

jennifer

Does it say what the painkiller ingredient is? I'm curious what it is, if it's not benzocaine. I think lidocaine is OK, but I wouldn't take the chance. Like Joan, I've seen a number of T. karelinii tail injuries, including a couple of rather ghastly looking ones, and they always healed up without treatment.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The local anesthetic in Neosporin is pramoxine. It works as all local anesthetics do by blocking nerve impulses at the sensory nerve endings in the skin and mucous membranes to produce analgesia. I wouldn't risk using this on a newt. And although I am not a newt pharmacologist so to speak, unless there are data to suggest otherwise, I would not use lidocaine either. Lidocaine and benzocaine are very similar - one is an ester derivative and the other an amide derivative...but both produce the same local anesthetic effects. I would worry that any of these compounds could be absorbed systemically through the skin and produce cardiac arrhythmias or standstill and other end organ damage....if one can extrapolate human pcol to caudates that is.

A

alberto

I have use Neosporin on bad limb infections on new Chinese fire belly newts from a pet store and have been pleased with the results.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Alberto - the product you used was plain Neosporin without a 'painkiller' - correct?

A

alberto

Hello Jan
No it was not plain Neosporin, it did have the analgesia pramoxine.

L

leanne

If you get the generic "Triple Antibiotic Ointment", which I have had excellent results with, it contains no numbing agents/painkillers. To be on the safe side, stay away from anything that ends in "caine". The ingredients in the Triple Antibiotic Ointment are beneficial and safe to use on your caudate:
1. Bacitracin
2. Neomycin Sulfate
3. Polymyxin-B Sulfate

People use the ointments with painkillers in them to euthanize their herps---the numbing agent ingredient makes their central nervous system fall asleep, often permanently. It is a really hard way to put an amphibian down, I speak from experience, because there is no way to monitor the amount of ointment that is going to be effective, and in the meantime the creature is in paralyctic agony (at least in my situation, where I tried to euthanize a White's tree frog this way).

A

alberto

Hello Leanne & Jan
I have use both plain Neosporin and the one with the pain killer and I must have been lucky because they did not die! But I will not continue using anything that has any kind of pain killer on my newts!
Thanks for the advice!
happy.gif

J

jazz

Thanks for all the responses!

As it is, every time I come into the room she is on her floating bark. I suspect she's either avoiding the others or doing her own "dirt quarantine". Do you think I should separate her and give her a real quarantine? Once I come close she dives back into the water and hides....which kind of kills the effect of originally bivouacking on the bark doesn't it?

And since we are already on the topic of animal health I noticed something strange in another of my Triturus Karelinii. He seems to have grown a belly button. I checked the wart and it does not appear to be a cut or flap or skin, but I don't know why it has started to grow of if I should worry. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Really it just looks like a belly button.

J

jazz

The female is loosing some of her brown color and turning paler. Should I separate her, let things run their course, apply meds? Please lemme know!!

J

joseph

IME with a bitten tail or two yes the newt does tend to go terrestrial. I'd simply keep close watch of her. If you are concerned you could seperate her into a private tank with a land/water section.

J

jennifer

Does the tail still look raw or ragged? If so, I'd consider applying some Neosporin and keeping her out of water. T. karelinii will sometimes get paler when under stress.

J

jazz

The tail does not look ragged, she's healing now. She has also regained some of her color. Sorry for the false alarm, the change was just so sudden and drastic! Thanks for the help!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1