Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Am I doing this right?

S

shai

I put a little less than 1/4 capful of Maroxy into 4 gals of water. I will keep adding this amount over 5 days without removing any water.

Then do I do a partial water change until eventually it's out or do I remove all the water to get the medicine out after the 5 days?

I thought someone said to keep using it for at least 10 days..

I'm unclear, please help.

E

ester

Could you expand a little on the information?
When asking questions in three different threads, you need to provide all relevant information in each thread.

* What kind of newts do you have
* What are their symptoms
* What are the active ingredients in the medication?

I found MarOxy on a web site on fish medication:
"Safe, stable and non-staining MarOxy treats fungal, as well as bacterial diseases such as clamped fins, swollen eyes, and patchy coloration. Use of a hospital tank is recommended. Active ingredient: stabilized chlorine oxides. 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons daily, for no more than 5 days. 1 oz. treats 25 gallons for 5 days. For fresh and saltwater."

But newts are not fish of course. I do suggest using a hospital setup, small, shallow and with a single hiding spot. I am not familiar with the medication you are using but it sounds similar to salt baths.
Check out this web site:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/salt.shtml

(Message edited by ester on December 29, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1