Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Identity Question?

tony

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a new member and potential newt owner. I am buying a "firebelly" from a pet store near the house. The reason that I say "firebelly" with the quotes is this...

I've scoured the web and cant find another newt photo like this one. He's got the black body with red/orange spots on the underside, WITH BRIGHT RED WHISKERS AROUND HIS MOUTH.

It looks like a thin beard around his face.

Any ideas on why this would be there?

The shop guy said that it could be a firebelly, paddletail, or oregon newt...those are the three that their distributor usually brings.

any help would be appreciated!

P

paris

whiskers? do you mean an illusion of this or actual protrusions-like barbels on catfish? this is for sure a caudate-right? it does have 4 legs and a true tail? your local pet store guy has to be totally clueless if he doesnt know the difference between an oregon newt and the other two. have you looked up pictures of the newts he 'thinks' it could be? can you get a picture?

tony

Reaction score
yes they are actual hangy-down pieces, real small though, like a bright red beard. I will get an actual photo when I get him home tomorrow.

tony

Reaction score
From what I've read...she's a Paddletail newt. About 5-5 1/2 inches long (head-tip), broad, flat head, puglike face, very wide-flat tail, stubby fingers. The beard hairs that I saw must have been a bloodworm. Here are some pix, but she was kinda freaked out, so I didn't want to get too many pix. She's been in a hideaway since we got her home.
the tank is set up with blue gravel, three hideaway areas, and plenty of greenery.

any more new owner tips, pass em along!
65329.jpg

P

paris

yep-thats a pachytriton labiatus, a good starter newt that will eat just about anything-beware though, they cant be kept with others unless you are lucky enough to get a pair who happen to like each other. from the looks of it you may be right about its gender too.

tiffany

Reaction score
the gravel in that tank looks pretty small. be cautious because your newt may ingest it. sometimes they digest it pretty well and sometimes not.

tony

Reaction score
yeah..i'm gonna pull it out, after everything that I've read. when I do should I just go fully aquatic, with platforms?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1