Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spanished ribbed newt need help!!!!

A

andrea

I have a few month old Spanished Ribbed Newt. I have had her for about 2 months now in a small non filtered tank. I just put her in a 10 gal tank last night and she was very happy swimming around but this morning all she wants is to get out she keeps trying to jump out. Also last night I noticed she shedding. Is it because she is feeling trauma from the move. I am very new to newts she is my first one and I am really attached to her already so if anyone can help me with any ideas on what is happening with her I would appreciate that.
proud.gif

Spanished Ribbed Newt "Bella"

J

jeff

Perhaps we could help a bit more if you could give us some specifics on the 10 gallon set-up. What temperature is the water at? Do you have any hiding spots/plants for "Bella"? It could be stress due to a new environment, so it is important to have the correct set-up for her to reduce that stress as quickly as possible. Here is the link for the caudata culture caresheet for Spanish Ribbed Newts: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pleurodeles/P_waltl.shtml Please read this over if you haven't already done so, and modify your set-up based on this caresheet. After a few days let us know if "Bella" is doing better.
wink.gif

P

paris

what sort of set up is she in?-is it strictly a bare aquatic tank? new environs will upset them to start but what else is in the tank to make her feel comfortable? does she have floating plants or a platform to rest on? (you have got a lid on it right?) did she shed all of her skin or is it coming off in sections? what sort of water did you use and might you have left some cleaning solution residue on the tank before you filled it? give us some more background on the changes....

P

paris

no fair jeff! we were posting at the same time and he beat me cause i had to correct my bad spelling.....
blush.gif
...you can see andrea that some of these questions are universal to getting background to help you out

J

jeff

Haha Paris, I WIN!!
rofl.gif

Seriously though, I did have a gut feeling that somebody else was responding when I was. Maybe I should join Ms. Cleo. Together, we would be unstoppable!

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 28, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1