Help with plethodon Cinereus (Eastern Red backed Salamander)

J

joey

i dont know what kind of habitat i should build or what to feed it and how small the food has to be they are terrestial salamanders that breathe through there skin and they need moisture but i dont know how much soil i should put in it and should i have a dish in it with water.

I have Eastern Redbacked salamanders and they need a forest type environment: soil, moss and lots of hiding places like rocks or small logs. Although most articles I've read about them say they don't need water, mine have a water area in their tank and I HAVE seen them go into the water on many occasions, even if only for breif periods. Mine are eating very small earthworms. I couldn't find any at the pet store so I dug them up in the garden. I have one that is pregnant. You can see the eggs in her belly, but she is being very picky about a nesting site and won't lay the eggs yet. Let me know how yours do!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back