Force feeding a newt? please respond!

V

vicky

I've got my newt with rot in a dirt quarantine and I'm treating him with hydrogen peroxide once a day and neosporin 3 times a day. I mist half of his tank every two hours or so to keep humidity at 70 and the temp. at 70 or a little above. He went to the vet today and she said to keep him at about room temp so that the heat would cause his metabolism to go up, and then he'd get hungry enough to eat and then get the nutrients needed to regenerate. She said that his infections are healing very nicely and that he will be okay, but is she right about the heat? Also, she said that if he won't eat that we should force feed him. Are newts ever force fed? Would that just kill him?

Please help me with this; the vet said I've been taking very good care of him and I attribute that entirely to forums such as this and the adjacent websites-- I think I can pull him through the rot, but I don't know who to trust!! Please help me out!

I believe the vet is wrong about the temperature. 70 or above will only increase his stress. Force feeding is possible, but not something I would ever undertake, as there is significant risk of hurting the animal if it is done incorrectly. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back