Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese fire belly newt breeding

J

jordan

I know the basic thing about breeding. I have 2 males and 3 females. How do I drop the temperature in my tank without a heater?
Please can someone replie. I really need to know.

I

ian

You probably need an air conditioner or a fridge.
but for Cynops Orientalis, you dotn reall need much temperature control to get them breed.

You only need to make sure they are healthy and do feed more during the warmmer season of the year.

J

jennifer

It is usually best to 'work with the seasons', not against them. In other words, think about how you will keep them cool during the winter - a basement, a room with the window left open, etc. And as Ian mentioned, good feeding all year round is important - worms are the best.

J

jordan

Thanks those 4 the tips. For the earthworms do i just get them from my garden.

ali

Reaction score
Jordan, many pet shops sell live blackworms or at least frozen bloodworms (live is preferable).

Many people also feed nightcrawlers that you get at a bait shop or the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart. Chopping them very small allows newts to eat them.

Finding them from your garden is an option, but it involves more work and you must be sure that no pesticides or chemicals have been sprayed there.

J

jordan

Thanks I got some blood worm the other nite and I cut up some big earthworms, but they keep getting under the gravel and only two of the newts (my oldest two, are eight this year) takes them from my fingers or tongs. The other three refuse to take from my fingers (they are rescues I got off of a friend who wasn't caring for them), but they do eat the bloodworms (frozen) any way I can get them to eat the earthworms?

I

ian

They usually very willing take earthworm. Maybe you starve them a little so that they will be dared to try the new food. Once they tried they will probably love it.

But it is risky if your newts are not healthy to start off with.

J

jordan

I tried again yesterday and they took the earth worms from my fingers. Thanks

mike

Reaction score
I took a small clay dish from the bottom of a flowerpot and put in the tank. I kinda squished it down into the gravel so it's level with the rest of the gravel, then I just drop the blackworms or worm chunks and let them fall in the dish. now the newts start heading for it as soon as they smell them in the water and they don't fall into the gravel.

J

jordan

Yeah thats sounds like a good idea I think I'll try that.
Thanks

ali

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with Mike, I use a feeding dish even in my bare bottom tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1