Very unusual.... i hope this doesnt happen to you

J

josh

i got an oregon ensatina from someone recently and upon arriving, its tail fell off.. i knew something was wrong so i kept it well away from my other animals. well a few days later, this happened.
29830.jpg

has anyone else seen this before?? the open sore seems to be where a parasite has exited its body and the white things look like pupae. this is why you dont mix species and always quarranine animals when you get them.

I've had a couple drop their tails right before dying. It's probably a response to the stress of an infection. The biggest problem with Ensatina is their sensitivity to being kept too damp too long. They develope a skin necrosis that is pretty much always fatal. You're almost better off keeping their container on the drier (less than damp) side with a damp and dry hide spot.

I don't know about the exit wound. This could have happened after death, caudates can decompose extremely fast. Did it have a dry wrinkly look to its skin when you received it?

RUSS

no dry look. the wound was there when i recieved it, but it wasnt festering. it was very minute. the wound got really bad when it died. i checked on it in the morning. it was alive and by the time i got home from work, it was dead and the wounds were festered and there was an actual hole into the body. thats when the white things showed up. the container was quarrantined and i dont see how anything could have gotten in there to lay eggs. it looks like something came out of it. i know alot of parasites will not affect an animal untill they exit, thus killing the animal. ive seen that in tarantulas and a few snakes before. horrible way to die

Its hard to tell in the picture but the white things look like some kind of mycelia growth as opposed to a parasite.

Ed

I've only had ensatinas drop their tails from heat stress. I've kept many ensatinas, particularly oregonensis, but never saw any signs of parasitism. Very strange.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back