Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dendrobaena and FBChinese Newts

A

amber

PHOT0272.jpg

As you can see, my Chinese Firebellies are quite small (about 3" long, head to tail, if that). Mind you, that's a massive frozen bloodworm.

But anyway. The question:
I know how to purge worms, as Spyyk the Axolotl eats them - but what would be the best way of prepping said worms for these small animals?
I have two of these little guys, and I'd like to know how much dendro worm they would eat each, so I don't chop up too many worms.
(As I like worms and feel guilty enough just giving them to Spyyk, never mind cutting the poor things up)

Anyone able to help?
Inches or centimeters, I'm happy to work with either.
Dendros are home grown, parasite free and living happily on a varied diet in my cupboard.
Apparantly the worms like fishfood too.

G

gord

Amber:

I'm not sure if your CFB is terrstrial..but I suspect at that size it is.I've had great success fattening up my new CFB with fruit fly larvae.I put the larvae in little clusters on the cork island and the newts attack them. They are about the right size and have a lot of movement. Extra small phoenix worms also work.I've mixed in a few blackworms lately.

Live food is always better,but takes a bit more work.

Gord

C

cameron

Well...you should see how many pieces of chopped worm they will eat the first time you feed them(at all the same length)(use a random length like an inch for each piece) and then you'll know how much chopped worm to feed them the next time it's dinner. Just don't bloat them.
wink.gif

J

jennifer

I'd say chop up one worm and see how it goes. Sometimes newts will refuse Dendrobena worms when chopped, as they have a bit of funky odor inside. If they like them, I would guess 1-2 worms would feed the two CFBN.

A

amber

Thanks, much appreciated.
They're happily eating live bloodworm at the moment, and will merrily go swim for it.
In fact, Braeburn is sat completely in the water, just the tip her nose out, peeping out of the top at me.
Not a clue where Smith is at the moment...

I'll keep the dendros for the frogs and lotl then.
I'll see if I can pick up other larvae for them to try too. At least bloodworm are dirt cheap here. (35p for a big bag!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1