I need help please with salamander

J

julie

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1"> hi what should i do with my salamander for the winter? i would like some advice please thanks</font></font>

Yes me too, should i change the gravel to dirt, to make it warmer? should i give her more worms?should i hold her more so she gets warmer from my body heat?

Alexandra, salamanders do not need artificial heat sources from their keepers. They will tolerate temperature just above freezing to mid 70's. You have to worry more about extreme temperatures, freezing and high 70's into 80's. Another concern is drying out. Wintertime humidity is low, so your setups can dry out faster. Winter time is the easiest time to keep most caudates, because the average room temperature will drop to 60's to low 70's. Unless you live in my grandparents house who blast their wood stove all winter keeping the indoor temps around 80!
sad.gif
Even in their home, there are rooms that are much cooler (back bedrooms, storage closets, etc).
If you are trying to breed salamanders from cooler regions, they will need a cooling period. Depending on the species of salamander, this temperature can vary from 40's to 50's.
Breeders have even resorted to keep them in the refridge for a couple of weeks.

Feeding salamanders through the winter is fine. If your are dropping the temperatures really low to stimulate breeding, (38-48F) they may not feed or feed very little due to the slowing down of their metabolism. It has been reported of a naturalist observing Red Spotted newts below the ice on a frozen pond, foraging for what he thought was food! I'm not sure of this account, but have witnessed newts and salamanders mating in ponds that were partially frozen.

I would recommend researching your salamander's natural history or habitat in the wild. The challenge is trying to duplicate that in an enclosed setup at room temperature.

My newt has a yellow belly and has a rusty, bumpy back. And i'm not breeding it I just have it as a pet..lol. So a perfect temperature is around the 60's or 70's right?
Also, do newts hibernate?

(Message edited by teenietop on August 23, 2006)

my salamander is a yellow spotted one...for the winter do i just feed him like i do now?

Hello Guys
I have successfully breed Red Spotted Newts and Chinese Fire Belly Newts down hear in South Florida! The very last time they simply started breeding on there own during the winter! I did not have to lower there temperature!
I just thought I share that little bit of information!
Best wishes to all
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back