T gran with black spots...

B

bill

i have a t.gran that i have had for a few months now. this morning i found black spots on him, they looks as if someone has taken a pen and blotted ink all over him. they are on his face neck body tail arms.... is this part of shedding that i havn't seen before?
he's in the water, active and eating. it's a 20gal tank with a 15 gal sponge filter at about 68*f. lots of plants including rocks completely covered in java moss. there is also a floating log, so i don't think it's his home. could this be some sickness he brought from the pet shop?
oh yea when i got him he was a little skinny, and now he's starting to get a teardrop shaped belly.

Can you take and post a picture, perhaps? Your description of "little scabs" has me curious.

they went a away, i didn't see any shedding but i did notice some odd behaviors like dragging it's rear on the ground. it does spend some time out of te water, but only for a few hrs while the light is off. other than that the newt looks ok, still a little thin, but getting better. by chance do they yawn under water? or is this a feed me more sign? sorry no camera.

(Message edited by beejium on February 09, 2007)

If you didn't see any shedding, it's likely because your newt ate it. Rubbing against objects to loosen up the shedding skin is normal behavior.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back