Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do they do while they're down there?!

L

leanne

My tiger sally goes into the substrate for a couple days, comes out, eats a couple crickets that I give him, takes a swim in the water dish, poops in there (and sheds his skin, usually), and then goes into the substrate again, totally disappearing....what do they do when they are in the dirt, do they just lie there and relax? Is he getting ready to hibernate and do this for good all winter? I wish I could spy on him, but I guess he values his privacy! Actually, I think it's a she----small ciaca. How long do your tiger sallies sit underground before they surface?

K

kaysie

they live in the dirt. that's their natural home. they come out for food, when they have to.

a good way to spy, take a PVC (or other plastic, as i'm not sure the chemical safety of PVC) pipe, cut in half, so you have half a cylinder. put the flat half next to the glass, so you can see into the tube from the outside. try lining it with substrate to make it more appealing, and maybe the sal will use it as a burrow. then you can spy. although, it may be too light and animal wont appreciate your lovely handy-work. i've never tried it...

L

leanne

Kaysie,
Well, I have kind of an opaque tub that is equivalent to about a 30-gallon aquarium and unfortunately the view from the sides is a little foggy, but at least my salamander comes out often enough that I don't feel too left out, heh heh! BUT, I do intend at some point to get a large glass enclosure so that I might be able to try the PVC trick. Thanks!
happy.gif

S

s1ren

I keep seeing a product called "foamarium" online: it's a little foam substrate with tunnels built into it. I wonder if a salamander would use one of those? I've never kept anything terrestrial, so I have no clue. Have you two heard of this Foamrium?

L

leanne

I have never heard of a foamarium, might get some feedback if you post the question also in the "enclosure" section....sounds intriguing.

A

aaron

PVC is safe, just make sure to round off any sharp edges.

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1