Long toed salamander and frog!!

T

tanya

Hi I just want to make sure that you all agree that this is a long toed salamander. Also if anyone knows anything about frogs let me know. I will attach pics. thanks
48410.jpg

Yes, that's a long toed. That's probably a boreal toad, Bufo boreas.

Are you keeping those animals together, because you shouldn't.

yes they are together. they shouldnt be? why is that? They seem to be doing fine together.

Frogs and salamanders or newts are a bad mix...it will most likely end up with the salamander eating the frog but you just shoulden't mix species

They would be less stressed if they were kept separately. Frogs and sals can be a bad mix. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

On the other hand, I think she found the two of them together. If they are similar enough in size that neither can eat the other, and they are provided with a large enough habitat and ample food, I think they could, perhaps, be kept together successfully

(Message edited by jennewt on November 20, 2005)

Hi guys. Yes I did find them pretty much in the same area under my house. They are about the same size, very small. They have been together since last Tuesday nite. Should I keep them together or let the froggy go?

I am feeding them worms, flies and other crawly creatures that I find. I havent seen the salamanders eat but the worms and flies have disapeared. The salamanders dont move to much. I just looked at them and the frog and 3 salamanders were inside a big lego piece. You know the large mega blocks. I believe it is a 25 gallon tank but I will check on that.

The one thing you have to consider is food competition between the toad and the salamanders. Toads are voracious eaters and might get to most of the food, leaving insufficient food for the salamanders. Unless you hand feed each individual (preferably with a long pair of tweezers), it might be better to keep the toad in a seperate enclosure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back