Need help and advice - Tiger Salamander not eating, looking thin

S

salamander_fan

Hello,

I own 2 tiger salamanders which look similar to the picture I found here:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idguide/tigersa2.jpg

I keep them in a large sized terrarium that is half water half land. They seem to spend the majority of their time in the water. I don't heat the water so it's probably around room temperature (72F 21C). I feed them kingworms mostly. I've had them for about 2 years (since they were larva. They morphed a few months after I got them). I have fed them kingworms this entire time with the occasional beef strip and have never had a problem before.

Lately, however, one of my salamanders has become very thin and seems to be vomitting at least a portion of what I have fed him. This started a few weeks ago. Since then my salamanders has gotten progressively thinner and is now refusing food. My poor salamander now looks very thin and frail and is a sad contrast to my other salamander who is a voracious, fiesty, energetic critter.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening, what I can do to help my salamander start eating again, or any tips regarding my housing or feed?

Thank in advance

Hi,adult tigers should be on soil alone as they like to burrow and dig,they are probably staying in the water because your land part of their tank isnt right for them.What are you using for your land part?Try unfertilised top soil and a very shallow water dish and some hiding places.You can also feed them live crickets and earthworms and see if they go for them.Hope this helps,
Cloth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back