Fire belly Died

C

cole

One of my six C.Orientalis Died yesterday. He just turned aquatic a month ago and I am pretty sure he was the father to the new eggs I have. Lots of hairs sticking out of his cloaca. He was fine yesterday when I fed them and was fine again when I came home and was removing bad eggs from my tank,and then last night before bed I checked on them and he was dead! He had no skin problems or bloat he looked like a happy breeding newt earlier and when i found him , he was on the bottom eyes all cloady and stiff as a board. I test my water regularly and do water changes 1 every two weeks. He is in a 40 gallon tank with 5 other newts and there is some snails and gravel bottom with a feeding dish, lots of elodia an java moss. Iam just wondering if he tried to eat one of the snails? I don't understand it and I am now woried if he had some sort of disease and will it kill my other newts and the eggs?

Every once in a while, a newt dies for no apparent reason. Does the tank have an island for the newts to climb out on? Old age is possible, and so is ingestion of a snail or a piece of gravel.

Most diseases will have some sort of symptoms before the animal dies, so I don't think the others will catch it. And even if they could, it's too late to try to quarantine.

It wasn't old age. He was a juvie that just turned aquatic /adult. I have cork bark fake plants and an aquarium log that sticks out of the water for land areas. The only thing I can think of is that he was a very active newt and probably found a big snail crawling around and tried to eat it. I get most of the snails out aftrer I feed them because the snails crawl into the feeding dish for leftover food. Thank you for the replies. All my other newts still look good and I got to see one of my females laying an egg today!

I had a very active newt that died because when I got it he already had a severe case of limb rot. It's skin and flesh was literally being eaten away.

Unless I looked at it carefully I could not see the eaten away flesh.

(Message edited by slimy on January 14, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back