Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much food

G

gergify

i need suggestions on want i should put in a 30 gallon long set up. I already have one next (california). And i have another question. I read that i should feed a newt about three times a week. Feed him one good large meal of LIVE food each week. should i be feeding him more?

ali

Reaction score
Gerg, you really shouldn't do any mixing of species, meaning you need to find more of the same newt that you have right now.

30 gallons is a great size and you can do lots with it! You could get some Ghost shrimp, which are pretty entertaining sometimes (as long as you're okay with the idea that they'll end up being a newt snack eventually.)

I would feed more than once a week. I find that the more aquatic, the more often they would like to eat, and the species you have should be mostly fully aquatic (though with several places to come out onto like tall plants and floating corkbark).

You call it a 'california' newt. This is taricha torosa, but taricha granulosa (a rough skinned or oregon newt) is WAY more common in the pet trade. Where did you get this newt? Do you have any photos? Your newt is most likely an oregon newt, which you may be able to aquire via this forum in a few months when people have more offspring.

J

joan

Is the newt in your avatar yours? If yes: it's definately T. granulosa. If no, do you have permission to use the pic? (Better hear it from me than from one of the moderators: if you don't have permission, they'll remove the pic).

I feed my T. grans about once a week in the winter (they're around 50F), and 3x a week in the summer, but both of these will vary with the temperature. If it's hotter, feed more. They get about 2 inches of nightcrawler a piece.

Those who are patient, I just started cooling their tank, and have taken the male out (absense makes the heart grow fonder). Hopefully when I put him back in... I'll have eggs!

G

gergify

Here are some pic.
54927.jpg

54928.jpg

J

joan

Good lookin' T. granulosa. I would increase the water level though, these guys like to swim. Just give it a small island to climb out on if it wants to get out of the water.

J

jennifer

Gerg, is that a heater I see in the tank, or a part of a filter?

G

gergify

Well that use to be a very small power filter to air rate that water. But it got clogged and i haven't taken it out yet. I currently useing a air pump.
So it's a good idea to raise the water a bit?? I'll have to do that. thanks.

I

ian

Yea. you can raise the water level a lot more. Your water level is about 3 to 4 inches?? I think you can have 10 inches. (What does other think?) And I dont think air pump is neccessary for a big tank with small animal. Air exchange from water surface should be enough.

H

hayden

I'd definitely suggest raising the water level. 8-12 inches would be fine for a Taricha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1