Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need some help...

N

nedim

My fore belly newts arrived yesterday. I had everything all set up and running. I was using sand as a substrate, but it turns out that it clogged the powerhead on my submersible filter and now the filter is jammed. What kind of substrate do you guys reccommend? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on decoration for my tank? Oh, and I was also wondering-whats the appropriate water level on a 20g long? Thanks in advance

K

kara

use large gravel that cant be swallowed. Or, dont use anything at all, but large rocks, plants and driftwood.

I

ian

The waterlevel depend on the size/ maturity of the newts you have. If they are fully matured, you may have the waterlevel as high as possible with only a small land portion.

ali

Reaction score
Hi Nedim. Next time, be sure to read to see if your filter/powerhead/etc. says it is okay to use with sand. From what I've seen, many say they do not. I know that lots of people use sand on here, but I'm not sure what kinds of filter they use.

I used to use gravel, but have since switched to a bare bottom tank and love it. So easy to clean and maintain.

For decorations, I suggest wood, corkbark, and lots of plants. Give the newts lots of places to rest at the water's surface. I would fill the tank about half-way and see how they do.

How large are the newts? If they are very small, you may want to have the water more shallow until they adjust.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!