Tiger w/ swollen throat simultaineously cured of abdomenal bloat

beverly

Reaction score
Display Name
Beverly Cobb
Our beloved "Mr. Mander" has suffered from bloat for over a year now. As we finally learned that this was what was happening to him, we took him to a local vet that is an active herp expert and advocate in out region. His knowledge of Salamander's was admittedly not as thorough, but he was able to offer some help. During our visit the Dr. probed his colon for blockage and treated his back with liquid Baytril (He was unable to coax his mouth open). We then brought him home and set up a completely new simi- aquatic home. After several hours of him waiting and then adjusting to his new home I took him out in order to give him a dose of Baytril by mouth. His abdomen was almost completely back to normal, however I noticed that his throat was now swollen. It has been three days and his abdomen is completely normal and his throat is still very swollen. The vet has been called and seems perplexed by the whole thing. Could we have some how hurt him in trying to relieve his bloat? Perhaps an injury or side effect from meds. Or could the gas moved into the throat cavity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back