Fuzzy eggs

P

paris

i doubt my newts are attempting to become mammals.....i have had the popei breeding for months now-sometimes only a few eggs a week(between 5 females) and sometimes 5 a day. of all the eggs recently, i have ones that have no colour (and i believe to be duds) and those that have either a dark blackish pole or a brown pole. of these eggs i can see what appears to be folding (but my eyes arent what they used to be)-when i go back to check on them they are pale and fuzzy (read as : dead!) so i am going to bring some in tonight and view them under the microscope-but until then-can anyone tell me how i might remedy this?? are the females producing too much that they no longer do viable eggs?(i can see sperm deposits regularly and tail chasing) when using the salt method to help prevent 'fungus'(isnt it really a slime mold?) how much salt to use?(regular aquarium salt-right?)it is getting to the point that all i can find are duds....so im frustrated. my biggest female is so big i am afraid if i take her out of water she may egg bind(is this possible in newts?)..help please....

i put them under a microscope last night. although i could tell they were bad i wanted to know what stage they had gone bad at - non had left the round stage. about 80% were fuzzed and the rest although not attacked yet -i suspect they will be soon-they also dont seem to be advancing........

one side note here-some people say that adult sals may eat dead eggs to remove them from infecting the others. while i have never seen this in land egg clutches-where it makes more sense-my popei have been caught (especially the males!)eating eggs before-yet of the current batch of bad eggs-not one has been eaten(you can see the proof of them being ripped from the leaves and some jelly is usually left behind) the times before i have caught them in the act-usually too late- the eggs were very much fertile and most were near hatching(so they were easier to get from the jelly)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back