Son's sick newts

A

angela

I bought my 8 year old two fire bellied newts and 2 dwarf african frogs. They were kept together at the pet store, so I assumed it was ok. I have them in a 5 gallon take. The smaller of the newts has seemed more lethargic from the start and looked to be missing two feet. He has had, several times, a kind of clear looking film on his limbs. Is this shedding? We fed the animals and left for 2 days camping. Before we left my son said he thought something was wrong with Hogger's tail (that's the larger, less lethargic newt). It looked like part of his tail was falling off (just the tip). I wasn't too concerned. When I came home both Hogger and one frog were dead. I immediately cleaned the tank and put the other frog, newt and snail in new water. They seem okay but both have a little of the clear film on them today. Should I not have the frogs and newts in the same aquarium? Do you have any idea what might have happened to my son's newt? Please help. I can't bear to have him lose another pet. I would appreciate it if you would even email responses to me at BzyMomAMJ@aol.com

5 gallons isn't big enough to have 2 different kinds of species in it

The frog and the newt shouldn't be together. Unfortunately, most pet stores don't understand that species mixing isn't a good idea, and it gives the poor animal's new owner the wrong idea about their new pets. The snail would probably be fine with the newt, as long as it isn't really big. I'd separate the frog, though. Check the caudata main page. It has all kinds of helpful info, articles, etc. They also have caresheets. I'm rather new to newts, too, and I'm sure a lot of other people here would have more information for you, but I do know you should get the frog out of there. Newts really aren't that social, so don't worry about him getting lonely. Both of them will be safer and you won't have to worry about anyone else losing limbs or tails.

The other day I saw in our local petshop some CFBN together with frogs. The frogs bit the newts all the time. When I made a remark about it to the owner of the shop he looked somewhat surprised, but to my pleasure he instantly seperated the two species.

hey, my newt died like that.
i was told its fungus. their legs seem to rot away. seems like luck if the newt survies or dies when you buy them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back