Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herp laws question

D

dane

I was reading up in the laws for keeping herps in wisconsin and I need some help inerpreting something, here it is

Eastern tiger salamanders, Ambystoma t. tigrinum,
mudpuppies, Necturus maculosus, and northern
leopard frogs, Rana pipiens, may be collected and
possessed in unlimited numbers if the collector or
possessor is a resident and has a valid Class A
Captive Wild Animal Farm License.

does this mean I need a license even to keep just on tiger sal or muddpuppy?

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/captive/HerpsRegs.pdf#search=%22reptiles%20and%20amphibians%20of%20wisconsin%20captivity%20laws%22

J

jonathan

reading a few bullets down on that document

A person may collect and possess up to 1 full
clutch of amphibian eggs and their hatched larvae up
until metamorphosis (transformation to the adult
form). Only 5 adult-form individuals may be
retained in possession and the rest must be either
given away or released in the wetland where the eggs
were originally collected.

It sounds like you only need the license if you want to have more than 5 adult animals. Advocating the release of captive-raised animals sounds like poor policy on their part though.

D

dane

thats what I was confused about, I wasnt sure what canceled what out

K

kara

Hi Dane, mud puppies are not usually sold in the pet trade...they are also difficult to keep, they live in deep water with a strong current. They are also a territorial species.

D

dane

kara I am aware of that and I dont plan on keeping any in the near future and I have read extensivly on muddpuppies because I really want to find one someday soon(but not keeping it), I was mostly worried about keeping tiger salamanders

K

kara

Dane, you asked about many species, and I was just letting you know that keeping a mudpuppy is very hard for a beginner. I couldnt do it. I had a single animal in a 55 gallon with lots of hideys, and proper water conditions, and it was a disaster. It was me and my mums project, and she is very savy when it comes to local wildlife, animals and pets. It just did not turn out very good and was disapointing. This was years ago, but I would never try it again. I caught these suckers all the time in the detroit river which is probably about 40 feet deep, way deeper in some areas. When I caught them, we were in a boat casting out, where it is deep and has a strong current.

D

dane

cool story,I understand they are difficult to keep, I was mostly worried about the tiger sals like I said befor, and I was added the muddpuppy in there so I knew for when I would get one, I most likely wont get one till im out of college

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1