Would this be fine?

M

marc

in about 7 days i'm getting a red spotted newt, i heard they can eat maggots, would it be ok to buy the maggots from a local fishing shop?

they are in sawdust would this pose a threat to the newts?
any help greatly apprieciated

depending at what stage of life the newt is you may/may not be able to feed maggots. if the newts are still in the eft stage and kept on land it be alot easier to feed them. if they are aquatic adults you'll have to find a way to feed without drowning the maggots

the maggots themselves should be safe. i feed soldier fly larvae to my pets whicha re sld in petshops as phoenix or calci worms. i think alot of baitshops use blow and bottle fly maggots which fead on rotten meat and other waste. you might want to give the maggots a quick "bath" to wash away any of the sawdust. i regularly bath foods item prior to feeding just to get any substrate off them or in the case of worms and slugs to get any mucus off and maybe get them to purge before feeding.

hi thanks for that, i believe they are adults that are semi-aquatic do it should be quite easy to feed them with(or without) maggots. but thanks for your reply/help

That's interesting. Can adult mandarin sals eat maggots too? Mines currently on waxies, earth and mealworms. (When he chooses to eat!)

i don't see why they couldn't
wacko.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back