Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long is the morphing process of a tiger sal?

J

jeremy

apparently my axlotl is not an axolotl..how long till this "morphing" phase is done? thanks

justin

Reaction score
It might not ever metamorphose into the land version of a Tiger Salamander. My guess it won't. I have no idea how long the process takes, but I do know that not all Tigers undergo metamorphosis.

Peadomorphosis (I can't spell at all recently) is what it is called. They stay in larval form and just get bigger and never reach the terrestrial form. The are able to reproduce as a peadomorph.

S

sherri

It all depends. Try researching your specific species to find out--usually there's pretty good info on any state's DNR website. At least, that's a good place to start. Good luck!

J

jennifer

Jeremy, I believe that your sal is already starting to morph, right? It will be a sal soon. It probably takes less than a month. Once the gills are completely gone, it's OK to transfer it to a terrestrial environment.

J

jeremy

thanks Jennifer. I'm a little hesitant to do so just yet though, he has a small "island" in the tank, but he prefers to sit in water with just his snout poking above the water line. His gills are pretty much gone though

D

deby

Hi Jeremy - my tiger took less than 2 weeks to do the change.Once she got to the stage where she just sat in the shallows I transferred her to a land tank. She has a pool in it and she spent the first day sitting in the pool, but then she started to venture out. Now she spends her days sleeping in her coconut shell house and comes out each evening to take a dip and walk about the tank. She has hills to climb and an Ivy to help keep the tank cool and provide scratching material. She has this thing about scratching her head on things. I got a reptile bowl for the pool and change the water every time she defecates in it. The bowl is buried so it looks more natural so I use a turkey baster to empty it.

I also got my sally from the mall as a dinosaur baby and was told it was an axolotl. But I'm happy with her - she raises up on her hind legs when I go into the tank so I will give her a wet hand petting. She is a cutie
Deby

(Message approved by admin)

J

jeremy

Deby, thanks, thats what i needed to hear. Looks like we both got surprises out of our "axolotls"

L

lisette

I bought my tiger as a 'water dog' and the guy said it wouldn't change but he did. I looked at him one day and he blinked at me! lol so I don't really know how long it took him to transform. My dad is a wildlife biologist so he hooked it up with books and stuff on what to do. I still want an axolotl but im super happy with my salamander...its more fun to watch him crawl around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!