New old tank

B

bill

will an old fish tank transmit anything bad to newts\salamanders? what is the proper way to "clean" before setting up?

I always fill them with water and some clorox to clean. Be sure to rinse well and dechlorinate before using.

I agree, diluted bleach is the best thing to use, but don't use bleach on sand/gravel (too much get trapped, and it takes forever to rinse all the bleach back out). If there are hard water marks, I find that a razor blade is the only thing that works.

i wash mine with dish soap with a lot of water and leavit in the sun for two days nad then wash it with water and fill it with boiling water, dont wnat to leave any chemical thing inside the tank

Do not use any (soaps) surfactants on any thing that will eventually house aquatic animals. Most soaps leave residues behind that are very hard to remove.

I would not suggest pouring boiling water into an aquarium as you will not only compromise the seams but you can also cause the tank to crack or shatter...

The only recommended disinfectants to use with aquatic animals are bleach and household ammonia (see Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry as well the two Disinfection for the Herpetoculturist articles in the old Vivarium magazine).

Ed

I agree with Ed... both dish soap and boiling water are highly NOT recommended.

i thought boiling and dish soap was a little much
happy.gif
not to mention i made a mistake using soap on some decor' a few years back. so bleach it is.

boiling will make the tank weaker and it wont be abe to hold as much water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back