How do i catch fish!!! "AHHHHH"

J

jim

Well ive got a problem basically ive got a smallish lovely pond (recently defished by a nice heron) full of wildlife and ive been goin down with my torch each night watchin the newts chase waterboatmen and the froglets and toads and ive suddenly discovered that its not free of fish as i thought( that blinkin heron missed about three of the bu**ers and theyre scoffin all the newt larvea, and i cant catchem with a net theyre to fast, they just zip back behind some weed. Any ideas?

got a stick of TNT handy?
biggrin.gif

how big are these fish?-could you try minnow traps or seine nets?-or do you need a harpoon?

.....how are you sure the heron didnt gulp down some of the newts too?

Assuming these are smooth newts, let the plants get overgrown, then they will happily coexist with fish. Same does not apply to great crested newts unfortunately.

yeah they are smooth newts, the fish are 20cm long. I suppose i could use a minnow type coke bottle trap, if i made the entrance big enough but it would catch allsorts. Anyway i wont give in yet!

You would need to make it so your trap was newt safe, so if a newt got caught in it it could breathe.

If they are that big maybe a hook and a line would work. Perhaps put something on it too big for a newt to take though. A long handled net should work if you are skilled/persistent.

Good luck! Removing fish is always frustrating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back