This newbie needs help again with my newt

C

christy

Okay here's the deal. Yesterday I went to one of the two pet stores in this freakin small town that I live in and they haven't even heard of a newt, just great! So everything I am doing and getting I am learning from this site which am lovin this site. But anyways this is the prob. I need to know if I am doing this right. I bought a ten gallon tank and put two bags of the small pebbles in it, two good sized flat rocks, a little over a gallon of water in there. There's more...

I bought a filter that even on the lowest setting makes a ripple in the water, like the wind constantly moving it. And about four plants and two grasses, but two of the plants are dying already. And I put a round stick about a inch in diameter to make like a log. Is all of this okay? What do I change? And those plants? And the clerk at the store told me to put Start Right in the water to remove chlorine. There's more....

Should that amount of water be heated? My little fella ate the two mealworms I put in there, at least I don't see them anymore. My boyfriend thinks I should feed like he does the copperhead he caught every so many days, is this true? How often do I clean the tank? Yes I am completely new at this but ya gotta learn sometime. Help!!!

Start here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

You need more water than that. Turn the filter outflow against the glass so it doesn't make such a current. Or maybe even use no filter until the newt gets adjusted.

Mealworms are not considered to be the greatest food for newts. Try earthworms or blackworms or frozen bloodworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back