911 Morphing Tiger???

S

stacie

Hi, last night I posted on the axolotl site and was referred to this area of the forum. My son was given a "waterdog" from a client of mine. I had no idea that it was a larval tiger salamandar. Anyway.....long story short I am not sure that we have been doing anything correct. I just came across this site and am surprised we have not killed him! He was very active and friendly would greet you at the glass and eat from your hand. He has now become kind of depressed, does not appear to want to eat and spends a lot of time gulping air at the surface. Last night when I checked on him he was kind of floating with his mouth sticking out of the water. His gills were small and stumpy when we got him had grown and become slightly feathery, they are now starting to die off becoming almost tree like. They are also looking kind of a pale blue/grey. I really had no idea what we were getting into but now that we are there we are quite attached to the little guy. I just hope he is ok and I would love any guideance! Honestly I don't know what kind of water he needs nothing. Are they very different from Axolotls? Please pardon my ignorance as I appreciate your patience. I just want to do the right thing! Thanks

Some of these FAQ may be helpful.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml
There are links there to more detailed articles on water quality. On your thread in the axolotl forum, Joan gave you the link to the tiger sal caresheet.

Regarding water quality, it should be the same as for any aquatic fish or amphibian. If you have a good pet store that you go to, or a friend who has kept fish for a long time, they should be able to give you some advice on how to maintain aquarium water.

Jennifer
Thank you I have been reading as much as I can on the site last night and today. Is it possible for a water dog to lose it's gills and then regrow weaker gills? I just wonder if perhaps he was starting to morph when we got him and then when we put him in a tank full of water he stopped and started to re-grow gills. Is this even possible. I only ask this because he had very small stubs when we got him, now one side is stubby and the other side is a bit larger. I see you are from NM can you recommend a decent pet store that might know something. So far I have found no one.

For general advice on how to maintain an aquarium, many pet stores do a good job (depending on whether you talk to an experienced person, or a rookie). Just don't tell them you have a salamander, as whatever they tell you on that subject is likely to be garbage. Try to get advice also on taking care of a terrarium, as that is what you will need soon.

Larvae are able to regrow (regenerate) damaged gills. That is probably what happened when its gills got larger, but now it's time for it to morph.

Stacie, I just sent you an e-mail via your forum profile (regarding pet stores in Albuquerque). If you didn't get it, let me know.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back