Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

MEGA TANK: 1 tiger , can newt join?

C

chris

A local pet store is getting rid of its aquatic stock, and I am aquiring a 40 gallon, 4 foot tank. It is a land, water setup with a stream built with filter. I have a Tiger Salamander named Chewie and he is about 8 inches long. the tanks land/water sizes are adjustable. I wanted to have a fully aquatic newt (paddletails are easily found in my areas pet stores) in the water part of the tank. Will both animals be OK with this much space? Chewie currently lives in a 20 gallon tank and does just fine. I just want some opinions on this, but i really dont want to let this tank slip by.

J

jennifer

Here is a quote from Paris Reilley's new caresheet for paddletail newts:

"These newts SHOULD NOT be kept with any other species. Some people have reportedly kept them in with other newt species without problems “until one day…” I can personally report that they are able to rip the legs off an adult tiger salamander."
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

There are not many "mixes" that I would recommend, even in a large tank. A tiger sal and an axolotl might work. For ideas of what NOT to do, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

C

chris

so......it "might work"? i dont want chewie to get bitten by a paddletail. so i dont know if ill try this. any suggestions on what could go in the water section of the tank and not bother chewie?

C

chris

i think chewie would annihilate that thing before it did a thing to him.

P

paris

why not keep him in the 20 hes got and use the new set up for semi aquatic species like tarichas

W

william

finaly a caresheet for pachytriton!
hat.gif
smile.gif
, great work Paris!!!

C

carl

dont mix i learned that the hard way (RIP Ned
sad.gif
) NEVER EVER MIX DIFFERENT NEWTS/SALS

C

chris

damn. Well i guess the newt can just have the mega tank. that way no one gets mauled to death.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!