Tiger Salamander - change in behavour

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Until the last week my 3 tiger sals (2 females and a male) have all behaved in the same way – they come to the front of the tank when I go by and 'beg' for food. When fed, they wrestle the food out of my fingers (sometimes nipping me too
biggrin.gif
)... However the male tiger now seems a bit lethargic, not coming out to play, either in his shelter or down a burrow. He is eating when coaxed - but not with the enthusiasm as the two females... Any ideas?

Hi Tim
I have observed this behavior when I have overfed my tigers - they seem to get fat, full and lazy. After I have backed off of feeding, the hunting instinct returns. I have one tiger, however, that has always exhibited the hunting and playful behavior no matter how much he has eaten...with him, I have to be careful that he does not gain weight.

Hi Jan, Thank you for your response - was getting very worried - strict diet time!!! They do look a bit fat!!!

The girls are very friendly - even playful nipping of my fingers and a slight tug-o-war...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back