Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops Orientalis behavior

G

genny

I have two beautiful Cynops orientalis newts since March. I have a male adult and a ? juvenile. They were very good friends till today. The juvenil never goes into water and stay on a branch. The adult is usually in the water but often stay on the branch with is little friend. They pass long time very close or even with their head sticked together. Just like if they were kissing each other. But today, I saw the adult, who is much bigger than the other, trying to bite is little friend. He did it only one time, but now I am afraid that he becomes more agressive.

It is possible for an adult to become agressive with a juvenile? His he in danger?

Thanks for your answers!

(Message approved by admin)

P

paul

had he been recently fed?

my orientalis bite each other when eating blood worms - i presume the scent of the worms remains on the feeding newts which may confuse other indivduals. they never appear to hurt each other.

J

joeri

I believe cynop males bite females and become slightly more aggressive when they want to mate.
Especially in their tail, but I've seen mine bite in the leg as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1