Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!!! newts won't eat!

C

chris

hi all. i have three tarichas which i feed earthworms. recently one just stopped eating and got weaker. i tried feeding her some tubiflex worms but she passed away. now one of my other babies is starting on the same path not long after. the big male though eats as normal and is fat and quiet health. anyone have any ideas.

ali

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to tell you to do. If it were me, I would separate them until one of the experts gives you some better advice just incase the baby could pass something to your healthy adult. I have not had any taricha babies, but if they were store-bought it could just be that the babies have been under too much stress from the shop.
Good luck! Sorry I don't have much advice to offer, but I would separate them until someone else has an idea!

C

chris

well they are both full grown but i wish someone could give me a link or point me in some kinda direction

J

jeff

Frozen bloodworms always worked for me, sometimes sticking them on a toothpick or tweezer feeding them?

C

chris

well i feed them with tweezers too. my healthy one is quick to gobble up some cut up worm but the "sick" one just looks at it. even when i try to rub it against her lips hoping she will taste it and engulf it.
sad.gif

K

karen

I would definitely separate them and try feeding with tweezers or a small siphon. My eastern newt went about 2 weeks w/o eating; eventually he started when I hand fed him (and he got hungry enough). I've also found my smaller newt is a bit intimidated by the larger one who wolfs down the food. If the big one comes by he won't take the food. So, separating them might help. I've found live food works best; try blackworms. I also use frozen bloodworms; tubifex worms are only used sometimes, I don't think they're as nutritious either. Try live food- newts like the squiggling of them. Good luck.

J

jeff

Blackworms appear to be the favorite for my newts too. I tend to put them in a seperate small containers and put both bloodworms and blackworms in there with them. This is a good way to know whos eating what

N

nancy

This is for Chris_dishmon -
I had salamanders for many years + one 'always' refused to eat what the others did. What that one ate was raw shrimp (loved it) and imitation crab (sea legs). Hope this helps.

C

chris

well it's not any issue of one trying to eat up all the worms cause the are fed one at a time(they are in a 55 gallon aquarium).

and as far as not liking them i'm unsure cause she's been eating earthworms for about a month now with the other one and she's always been quick to eat.

imma try breaking the whole aquarium down this weekend and clean it out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1