Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water hating newt??

C

christina

Hello everyone.

I’m new to this forum, I came across it while searching for info on newts. I’m hoping you may be able to help me with my new Chinese fire bellied.

I set up a new terrarium last week. It’s a 10 gallon with 2/3 water with a few pond plants (about 6 inches of water) and 1/3 land, with flooded gravel and some terrestrial plants. I bought a newt from a local shop. The keeper had been housing his in a small tank with about 90% flooded gravel and just a small dish of water. Despite this, they seemed healthy.

My problem is, it’s been a week and he doesn’t go in the water at all! That’s not too bad, because he stays moist, but he doesn’t eat. I figured maybe he wasn’t used to deep water so I put a small dish of water with food (brine shrimp, ‘newt bites’) on the gravel with him and he totally ignored it. I don’t know what else to do. Apparently they were fed freeze dried food at the pet shop, so I figured he’d be interested in what I offered. Any suggestions on how to get him eating? I wanted to put a few more newts in there but until I can make sure this one’s ok I don’t want to do that.

Thanks so much,
Christina

W

william

have you tried earthworms/nightcrawlers? newts sometimes take a while to start eating, so you don't need to worry just yet.

B

brian

I have had 3 CFB that have not gone in the water for over a year, and one that will not leave the water. If you have one that loves to be on land that's not that big of an issue. Not eating is the biggest issue right now. Try something live, or try dangling the blood worms in front of the newt.

C

christina

Thanks for the advice. It's been about 10 days now and the little guy is still very active, crawling all over the glass and plants, just not going in the water. I think maybe he has eaten, I just haven't seen it (I've been leaving food near him). If he hadn't eaten I figured he would be pretty lethargic by now?

I got two more fire bellieds two days ago and they are very active, and never leave the water! I guess it all works out, I have newts all over the terrarium now, haha.

J

jennifer

If the food is non-live, I would bet that the newt is not eating. They can be active and look fine for weeks without food. Try the suggestions in the FAQ, and from William and Brian above, for getting it to eat and go in the water.

C

christina

Well I found some tiny earth worms and the second they hit the gravel my 'land loving' newt ate them up! Thanks so much for the advice, I'm so happy to know the little guy is going to be ok :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1