Worried about my Red Spotted Newt

C

christina

I have what I think is a red spotted newt. I found him in the grass at my sister-in-law's house in late May. I put him in a plastic container and drove right to the pet store. I bought everything they recommended for him. By the time I put him in his new environment, he was stiff, his eyes were closed, and he wouldn't move. I nearly flushed him, but decided to wait until morning. He seemed fine in the morning... like he had come back from the dead. That was three months ago, and other than never witnessing him eat or leave behind any... er... "presents", he seemed to be fine. That is, until yesterday afternoon. He has not moved in over 24 hours (not that he moved much before), and his eyes have remained closed. I would think he was dead except he's not stiff - he's actually quite flexible to move, and his color has not changed. Is this normal? What is this behavior? Is he hibernating? I keep him well drenched with water and humidifying spray, and I've been feeding him little newt/salamander pellets. Does anyone have any observations and/or suggestions????? Please!

They are not always stiff after death. If it does not respond to being picked up or poked, and has been that way for hours, it's dead. It probably never ate the pellets, which is normal, but most pet shops have no clue about newts.

that is so sad
sad.gif
, i am so sorry
angel.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back