Rocks?

J

jameswei

I am trying to find rocks and other objects to decorate my spare tanks. Does anyone know a source or what to look out for when buying rocks? At the moment, i know to stay away from limestone and other chemically reactive species.

cheers.

If you get rocks from outside, you may want to boil them first. Also, I've found that you can get things like decorative rocks for much cheaper at craft stores rather than pet stores. The same exact package of rocks can be half the price!

Hi James,
Are you looking for rocks you can find outdoors, or to buy? I use a lot of bricks and those plain orange pots you buy at garden shops - they make good flat supports for islands.

I agree about the boiling. I have gotten rocks from nature before that have worked beautifully, but boil them for several minutes (I do 15-20 because I'm paranoid). If you're worried about the rocks causing harm to the pot you are boiling them in, you can put a washcloth underneath them so that they don't cause scrapes or other damage to the pot.

If you want to buy cheap rocks, you could check out flower stores too for bags of relatively cheap smooth stones (normally used to put at the bottom of pots to help with water drainage). You can probably even go to the craft/garden section at Walmart or Target to find cheap decorative rocks.

Good luck!

I am fond of the nice smooth stones from the local stream. I have collected hundreds over the last twenty years without incident. I collect from streams I know are clean'ish, collect from fast moving areas, and boil them for 5 minutes. Never had a problem (knock on wood).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back