Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice wanted for JFBNs/CFBNs

T

teresa

Hello, folks.

I'm looking into adding newts to my personal zoo sometime soon. I've devoured just about all the information on the net that I can find, and found my way to this place. Very informative!

I'd like to get 2 JFBN, but the only place that has newts is Petsmart, which I'm sure are CFBN incorrectly labeled. If I could find them relatively cheap through a breeder, I would prefer to do that. But anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

I have a few questions which I would prefer answers of a personal experienced nature. Also, I'd like opinions on the tank set up I am thinking of.

I am looking at a 10 gallon aquarium with a screened top, 1/3 land and 2/3 water. I'm thinking of putting a divider of plexiglass in, but I am unsure of appropriate water depth. 4 to 6 inches? I'd like to put quite a bit of plants (plastic) in the water area, to provide cover. I am thinking of some kind of log or similar apparatus so that they can climb out of the water onto the land. And something to provide cover on the land area. I want it to look nice, but I have a limited budget.

I'm not sure if I want a filter. If I go with one, it will probably be an undergravel filter. However, can I do this with just regular partial water changes instead? In your experiences, how often does the water need changed? And what is the easiest way to do so?

Do you find flourescent lighting necessary? There area where the aquarium will go will get some daylight, but not a whole lot. Any advice there?

Also, I'm curious as to your suggestions for appropriate and easy-to-care for live plants, in case I decide to take that route.

Thanks in advance!

J

jennifer

Teresa, in my opinion it would be better NOT to put in a vertical divider in a 10-gallon tank. If you put a 6-inch high divider with 2/3rds water, the actual volume of water on the wet side will be only be about 3 gallons. If you have any experience with keeping fish, you probably know that this volume is too small to maintain decent water quality. A better approach is to either make the shelf horizontal, so there is water under it, or use some other method to create a land area (see setups article in Caudata Culture).

I would suggest that you should use some kind of filtration, at least an airstone or corner filter. See the filters article.

The light is not absolutely needed. Indirect window light would work. Direct sun is bad as it warms up the tank and newts do better with cool temps.

T

teresa

I've thought about it and looked over my diagrams for tank design. The thought occurred to me that if I put in the divider, I wouldn't be able to easily take it out for use for any other animals down the line.

A shelf definitely seems like a better idea. I can always get creative with that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1