Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Laoensis have dull eyes

F

francesco

Hi everyone
I think this problem is due to lack of vitamins in the newt's diet. Can anyone confirm my hypothesis? In the males it's worse probably because females are already taking pellets while the 2 males are still on fish-bait earthworms.
These are two pictures of the worst of them:

65871.jpg

65872.jpg

Thank you in advance for the advice

Francesco

jef

Reaction score
my first pair of laoensis had it too. they died 2 days after the first signs of the clouded eye.
i had sent them to the veterinary for autopsy,but there were no signs of illness.what temperature are you keeping them?

F

francesco

good grief! They were 18°C in the cellar and 22°C-ish in my bedroom. However they're eating all right and show no sign of illness apart from the eyes.

jef

Reaction score
the same thing happened here,i was keeping them at 18°C. they were eating well and showed no signs of illness.then suddenly the clouded eyes appeared,a few hours later the female climbed out of the water
blew a big slimy bubble and died while blowing this bubble.it sounds funny but i can assure you,its not.
the male died the next day,he just stopped moving.
the strange thing is,they were both eating well untill the moment of death.
what pellets are you feeding them? just out of curiosity.

(Message edited by jef on June 02, 2006)

F

francesco

Tetra chiclid.
Well... it's difficult to explain, but in Italy to avoid bad luck men touch their testicles...and that's what I am doing right now!!!
lol.gif

TJ

Reaction score
That was random and disgusting. You should feed them real newt food. Not pellets, but earthworms, snails, and maybe tiny crayfish.

J

joan

Tim, Francesco is a respected keeper. He knows how to care for his animals. Pellets, when made of the proper materials, are a completely acceptable food source.

Ontop of such, you should not criticize another culture's customs just because you think it is 'disgusting'. Every culture has their own customs, and many of the things americans do are disgusting to other people.

I

ian

I have never had a amphibian with cloudy eyes but i kept tropical fish for many years and there is a condition called (cloud eye).This is usually a problem associated with water quality ammonia - nitrite - ph also in some delicate types chlorine, all types of poisoning.

F

francesco

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Tim Wright on Friday 02 June 2006 - 21:51 (#POST97344):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
who are you to say what's right and what isn't? I feed them what I think is best for them. If you have any advice I'm pleased to listen to you otherwise keep your nasty comments to yourself!

E

ester

Let's return our focus to the original problem posted here.. the clouded eyes.

Francesco, are there any signs to be found in their setup that it might be a fungal infection?

F

francesco

while they were in the cellar they didn't have a filter. Apart from that no not really

I

ian

Francesco how long were they without filtration , is it possible they could have suffered from a build up of ammonia or such.

F

francesco

they were without filtration while down in the cellar so that would be 2 weeks. They have a filter now that they're in my bedroom. However my tylos are without filtration and have never had cloudy eyes...

Can the building up of ammonia directly cause cloudy eyes?

Seems they're slightly better but don't know if it's due to the vitamins I gave them or to the filter....

jef

Reaction score
feeding them pellets,why didn't i think of that.
how long does it take before they accept them,
or do you feed only pellets untill they accept them?
clouded eye has nothing to do with fungal infection.
are they still moving around a lot,or are they always sitting in the same place?

F

francesco

They took pellets while in the cellar, it didn't take long before they got used to them. For now though I've gone back to earthworms till they get settled in the new aquarium. At the moment I'm adding vitamins to the earthworms before feeding them.

Quite active...sort of nervous the first couple of days in the new tank. I think they're nocturnal cos there seems to be a lot more moving around at night...

P

paris

isnt cloudy eyes also a condition that can be brought on by bacterial infections?

E

edward

There are multiple possible causes for cloudy eyes in aquatic animals. In fish, cloudiness can be related to water quality, bacterial, protozoal anbd fungal infections.
In amphibians, I suspect that they can be caused by a lot of the similar causes.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1