Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hiding

S

suzanne

Every time i go near my newt's tank he scurries to the back to hid behind his plant...Is this normal?
Thanks
Smitti

TJ

Reaction score
It's perfectly normal for some newts, not so normal for others.

Even among newts of the same species, some may be skittish and others not so. It may also depend on how long they have been in captivity and how comfortable they are in a particular tank setup.

Most of my fire-belly newts newts scurry when I approach, but in the opposite direction as yours -- to the front glass, hoping for food
lol.gif

For starters, what kind of newt do you have and how long have you had it?

S

suzanne

I have a FBN...i have had him for a week and a half! I know that its not very long...I was just worried about the little guy...maybe in a few weeks he will start coming to the front of the tank wanting food...I'm hoping anyway!

C

carly

I'd say if you've only had him for a little over a week that's really normal.
If you moved to a new house how long do you think it would take you to feel comfortable in the new environment? I know it would take me a while.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1