Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubble Overload

C

claire

We recently got a fire bellied newt for a school project about two months ago. We noticed that there were bubbles in the tank shortly after we got it. We tried changing the water, and we do have a filter. We recently left him for the weekend and came back to a swarms of tiny, stable bubbles. What are they? What should we do?

M

mark

Hi Claire, If you are using tap water it might explain the bubbles. Water is put under pressure so that it comes out of the tap and stops other contaminants entering the system on it’s way to the tap. The gases in the water are also under pressure, so when you fill the tank with tap water lots of bubble will appear as the water returns to normal pressure. In future you can leave the water to de-gas for 24 hours before use. This effect shouldn’t harm the newts – I’ve read that it can be dangerous for fish however. The bubbles that are already in there will go with time.

J

jennifer

Are the bubbles on the surface of the water, or under the water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1